Clawson Re-Declaration of a Civil Emergency
On March 11, 2020, the World Health Organization announced that the COVID-19 outbreak can be characterized as a pandemic, as the rates of infection continue to rise in many locations around the world and across the United States.
On March 13, 2020 the President of the United States Donald J. Trump declared a National Emergency, based on the detrimental impact of the spread of the COVID-19 virus to our country, as recommended by the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
On March 11, 2020, the Governor of the State of Michigan Gretchen Whitmer declared a State of Emergency, and issued several orders implementing measures in the State of Michigan that are designed to help prevent the rapid spread of the COVID-19 virus.
On March 11, 2020, Oakland County Executive David Coulter declared a County Emergency, and activated the Oakland County Emergency Control Center, based on the same concerns of the COVID-19 virus.
On 17th day of March, 2020 the Mayor of the City of Clawson Reese Scripture issued a Proclamation on Declaring a State of Civil Emergency in the City of Clawson Concerning the Coronavirus Disease (Covid 19) Outbreak.
The spread of COVID-19 within our community threatens to strain the health, safety and welfare of our Citizens, our businesses and our employees. Additional measures, as such, are needed to successfully contain and combat the virus in our community, while working in tandem with the communities around us and the nation at large.
NOW, THEREFORE, I, REESE SCRIPTURE, Mayor of the City of Clawson, by the authority vested in me by the Charter and Code of Ordinances of the City of Clawson, Article III Sec. 26.71 et. seq., do hereby find and re-proclaim that a state of civil emergency exists within the corporate limits of the City of Clawson due to the COVID-19 outbreak in the United States, beginning March 23, 2021. Pursuant to this declaration, I direct as follows:
1. Emergency Authority. The staff of the City of Clawson shall do all in their power to aid the Citizens of the City of Clawson throughout the duration of the public health emergency declared in response to the COVID-19 outbreak.
2. Recovery of Expenditures. The City of Clawson and its staff can seek assistance and support to supplement local response and recovery efforts, including but not limited to the purchase of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) to include but not limited to N-95 or P-100 masks, disposable surgical gowns, disposable surgical hoods, disposable surgical face shields or eye protection, nitrile gloves, hand sanitizer, disinfectant cleaning wipes, funding for over-time costs for first responder, public works crews, and other employees involved in response activities and support through the recovery process.
3. Postponement of Public Meetings. The City of Clawson may need to take additional measures to limit further exposure, including but not limited to the postponement of public meetings and public hearings and provide for the ability to televise the meetings and of the public to attend electronically, where possible.
4. Posting of Declaration of Civil Emergency. This Civil Emergency Declaration shall be forwarded to Oakland County and the State of Michigan and shall also be posted on the City’s webpage and any other available social media outlets as well as throughout City Hall.
5. General Provisions. (a) Nothing in this proclamation shall be construed to impair or
be used as needed and to the fullest extent possible.
IT IS FURTHER RESOLVED AND DECLARED THAT:
1. This Declaration authorizes the Emergency Services Coordinator or City Manager to take appropriate measures, in their discretion, to respond to or protect City, residents, businesses, and personnel from the declared Local State of Emergency by adopting and enforcing all appropriate measures, including but not limited to
3. To the extent the previous emergency declaration, adopted by City Council on March 17, 2020, remains in effect, this Declaration terminates and supersedes that prior Declaration.
IT IS HEREBY FURTHER ORDERED that copies of this order be forthwith posted in three conspicuous public places in the City of Clawson, and transmitted to newspapers of general circulation in the area, and notice thereof be forthwith given to members of the city council of the City of Clawson and to the governor of the State of Michigan.
Mayor of the City of Clawson
Proclaimed at 425 North Main Street in the City of Clawson, Michigan, at 7:30 p.m., Eastern
Standard Time, the March 23, 2021.