Interested in Running for Local Office
Below you will find documents and forms pertinent to the candidate filing process for local elections.
Please contact the City Clerk's Office for further information at 248.435.4500 ext. 116 or 118. Original petition signature forms are not available online and can be obtained directly from Oakland County Elections Division or the City Clerk's Office.
- Oakland County Candidate Filing Requirements
- Circulating & Canvassing City Petition Forms
- State of Michigan Campaign Finance Act
- City of Clawson Filing Requirements
- City of Clawson Signs Ordinance
- Affidavit of Identity
Elections for Clawson City Council are held in November of every odd-numbered year. The next Council election is November 7, 2017.
The candidate filing deadline for the November, 2017 election is 4PM on July 25, 2017.
If you have any questions regarding how to run for City Council or Mayor in the upcoming election please contact the CIty Clerk's Office at 248.435.4500 ext. 116 or 118. You can pick up packets during normal business hours.
City Candidates 2017 Filing Requirements for the
City General Election – November 7, 2017
Nominations for the following City officers will be accepted until Tuesday, July 25, 2017 by 4:00 p.m. at the City of Clawson office of the City Clerk, 425 N. Main Street, Clawson MI 48017, 248-435-4500 ext. 116 or 118. In accordance with MCL 168.644e as amended under PA 276 of 2012 all city level candidate filing deadlines are now governed under State law.
- Mayor – vote for one – two year term - term to expire 11/11/2019
- Council – vote for two – four year terms - term to expire 11/8/2021
Qualifications – City Charter:
- A citizen of the United States
- A registered elector of the City of Clawson
What to File:
- Affidavit of Identity
- Affidavit of Eligibility for Office
- Non-Partisan City Nominating petitions containing not less that twenty-five (25) nor more than fifty (50) registered electors of the City of Clawson
When to File:
- Deadline is no later than 4:00 p.m., on Tuesday, July 25, 2017
- By 4:00 p.m. on Friday, July 28, 2017
- All candidates are required to have or create a Candidate Committee. New candidates must complete the Statement of Organization and file with the Oakland County Clerk within 20 days of becoming a candidate. It is your responsibility to contact the County Clerk at 248-858-0563 to determine what requirements you may be subject to regarding campaign finance. You should do this prior to filing for office, expending money, advertising, or placing signs in support of your campaign to avoid any possible fines.